Friday, February 18, 2011

Patting myself on the back for a job well done!

This is gonna be a good ol' fashioned grownup blog with absolutely no LEGO pictures in it. Can you imagine? I'm nervous, I'm not gonna lie to ya. But I'm gonna steam ahead.

Mostly, see, I was watching the THOR trailer, which looks pretty badass, right up until that "In 3D!" fart to the face at the end. I'm not a fan of 3D, if you'd missed that. You can look here if it pleases you.

And that sorta stuff just dries my gravy!

So I went looking, and it seems there are people, real smartie-pantses, who seem to be on my side. Have a look for yourself if you want at Ebert's article from January 23rd, featuring a real couple of zingers about why my brain isn't dumb for rejecting 3D, even if the glasses make my look like that awesome chick who served me a coffee with a snarl.



Here's the link to the article.

It's got Walter Murch explaining biologically why I'm right. But he also does so theoretically at the end, which is good 'cause if you strip away the goobery stuff offa my diatribe, he and I line up pretty well. He says it better, obviously. But he wrote a book that I had to read in college, so that should be expected.

Here's a good quote, if you yourself didn't bother to look at the article:


"And lastly, the question of immersion. 3D films remind the audience that they are in a certain "perspective" relationship to the image. It is almost a Brechtian trick. Whereas if the film story has really gripped an audience they are "in" the picture in a kind of dreamlike "spaceless" space. So a good story will give you more dimensionality than you can ever cope with."

Yeah, Walter. Yeah.


I lied.

No comments:

Post a Comment