Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Maybe this'll be a monthly thing?

So I started doing this to keep myself busy while work decided if I was worth paying or not, and then it went and got busy on me and I've stopped doing this. So to whoever is out there that is eager for more of my freshy-squeezed mindberries, I apologize, and I'll try to work less in the future. Here's an unrelated picture for your troubles.

"What for, making me look like King of the Dicks?"

Also, it's sort of hard to reflect upon human nature through the lens of my own experience [or whatever the hell it is I'm doing here] when I'm busy not experiencing anything. As I already said, I've been busy with work, and there's really no good movies to watch, and I hardly leave the house. Especially this week, while I've been milking nursing a particularly chunky and unapologetic cold. But what have I missed?


Superbowl: Didn't watch it. I believe I spent the evening watching White Oleander. Plus, BEP sucks enough to stay far, far away.

Grammys: Didn't watch it. I thought music was dead anyways, right? I mean, once BEP wins "Best Anything" you really gotta cash in your chips.

And that seems to be that. I HAVE been watching a whole bunch of Dexter lately, and lemme tell you, if you haven't seen it, you haven't seen it. It's a damn fine show, but it does indicate to me how far behind the curve I am, what with it having been available for a good 4 years or so. And here I was during the first season all proud as beans that I'd concluded that Dexter was supposed to represent a superhero, and does so in pretty much every way right down the line [like how I'd cracked the code that Dr. House was Sherlock Holmes, way back when that show was new and interesting]. Dexter is Superman, see. But while I was patting myself on the back for this brilliant observation, they go and make it totally obvious in the second season by plopping him into a nerd store with comics and Heroclix and chubby fellows and everything. So the first thing I'm gonna do when I get my time machine fixed is go back 5 years and post this observation the night of the show's premier. I'll be the toast of Blogosphere 2006.

I was originally planning on segueing the nerd-store reference into an essay about being a nerd and buying toys and discussing the psychology of collectibility or whatever, but now that I'm here that seems really boring. Still, I took pictures yesterday, so I probably shouldn't waste them.

Ethnic diversity.

That there is a picture of LEGO Collectible Figures Series 1 through 3. Did I have anywhere to go with that? Not really. I think I was pretty much just bragging that I had them all. So... yeah. Be impressed now.

Although while preparing that, it did make me dig out all the LEGO dudes I have at the apartment, which isn't all of them that I own, but it's most of them. And this picture was born. See, it's supposed to be that scene from Gone With the Wind.

It's pretty clear I've never seen Gone With the Wind.

Oh! Right. Jeopardy. They've got Ken and Brad, the winningest players in the history of the Great Game, playing against a computer? Whaaa? My instincts are to rant about how this is the first public showcase of Skynet's eventual takeover, if that weren't so hackneyed and easy a joke. Also, and they've only gotten through one round, but Watson [the computer] is pretty clearly kinda dumb [and apparently a Beatles fan]. Although that doesn't make having him as our inevitable robotic overlord any more pleasant.

Plus, the whole thing is a shameless hour-and-a-half IBM commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment